Monday, March 28, 2011

First Things First

I love firsts in life. I love the first time you visit somewhere, the first time to eat a food and the first time to experience a new adventure. I especially love experiencing firsts with children. I love when their eyes light up, all the ooh's and ahh's, and even the questions that come with firsts and I love doing this with Izzie.

Some of you may think I'm terrible but I don't really remember the first time Izzie walked or even the first time she said a word (even though her first word was Dada). However the things I do remember are the things that are important to me. Her first trip to the zoo, her first Happy Meal, her first time to Disney, even her very first trip to Target (yes, her first trip to Target was a milestone for me...she was 1 week old) and the first time she looked in my eyes and said I love you Mommy this much (with her arms opened as wide as she could get them). (And yes, I cried during all these things)

This weekend Izzie got to experience more firsts. We took a quick trip to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge with some of our best friends and had a wonderful time. Izzie has been to Chattanooga before but I was hoping she would be even more amazed by the beauty of these mountains - funny thing is the whole time we were there she kept asking when we would be to the mountains - oh, children and their honesty. However my firsts quest was not compromised. She got to have her first Krispy Kreme donut, rode on her first chair lift, rode the Alpine Slide for the first time and even did a rock climb and ropes course for the first time. The laughter, yums and wonder that accompanied these "events" are some that I will always remember and I hope she does. ( I guess that is why I take hundreds of pictures too.)

I never want to pass on a moment for a first. In my opinion, the wonderment of children is fleeting and I long to capture as much as I can while Izzie still has it. I want to capture it all and while doing so maybe even open her eyes to something she grows to love. I pray that these firsts she has may tap in to the gifts and talents God has equipped her with and that one day she will use them for His glory. Whose to say that rock climbing with her dad doesn't open a love for nature and God's creation? I can't say that it will or won't - I'm not to decide - but as a parent I want to give my child opportunity to try things that may potentially open doors for her. (For any critics out there please don't jump to conclusions, I don't push my child to do anything though - I just give her options to do so.)

I can't wait for the firsts we'll experience with our new baby. While I may miss out on the first time she crawls and maybe even talks or walks, I will be able to experience the firsts I love....the first Happy Meal, the first zoo trip and yes, even the first trip to Target.

The one first I long for though for both of our girls (and any other children we may have) is the first time they realize the love of our Heavenly Father. The first time they accept the love of Christ and understand their lost-ness without it. This first is one that I can't create but one I pray will occur in the life of my children. As parents, with all the opportunities we give our children, this is the one first we should pray for, encourage and talk through and then leave in the Father's hands to let it happen....for it was He who loved us First......

2 comments:

  1. Oh that was good. You are such a good writer. I look forward to watching those so important firsts take over our children!!! What fun that will be & yes, we will all be crying along with you. ;0)
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to meet you at the Russell Moore night! I look forward to watching your adoption story unfold. Blessings to you :)

    *Love that we'll have an Ethiopian Adoption support system in Jackson. So exciting to see God at work.

    ReplyDelete