Thursday, March 3, 2011

Izzie and Epeopa


In my last post I really didn't mention a lot about what Izzie thought about her new sister that would soon be adopted from Ethiopia - so I thought I would give a little insight to her view of this journey.

When Jonathan and I started talking about adding to our family Izzie had a lot of insight. One conversation in particular sticks out in my head of her view of having a sibling.

Me: "Iz, do you want a little brother or sister"
Izzie: "Maybe. Would you have to go to the hospital and have needles in you?"
Me: "If momma has a baby in my tummy then yes, I would go to the hospital."
Izzie: "Then no momma I don't want a brother or sister. Can't we just go get one like in Haiti?"
(You see when the earthquake hit Haiti Izzie was extremely disturbed by the hurt children. We prayed nightly for the children there. She asked where their mommas and daddies were and we were honest with her in our answers.)
Me "So Iz, you want a brother or sister from somewhere else? You know they'll look different than you right?
Izzie: "Yes, momma I want a brown sister"

That is just a sample one of the many conversation we've had.

You see children have it right. They don't see the color, the socio-economic status, or even nationality. They see a child - just like Jesus does. My 4 year old gets it better than most adults. She sees a child that needs a momma and daddy, and she thinks her parents are pretty good so we should bring them in our home. She understands the need and gets that we can possibly fulfill that need.

When we told Izzie we had decided on Ethiopia she wanted to know so much about the country.
-Where is it?
-What do they do there?
-What do they eat?
-How long does it take to get there?

And then she wanted to know how to pray for them. We told her the best thing she could do is pray for her sister and nightly she does. She prays for what has fondly become known as Epeopa around our house (her way of saying Ethiopia).

One night while praying she said "God, protect our little baby in Epeopa and help the babies in the world that don't have a momma and daddy, come to our house." I couldn't believe it! At 4 years old she understands that there are children with no parents. She understands that we need to care for them. What took me almost 32 to grasp, she is understanding at 4!

I don't write all these things to pat ourselves on the back to say look what a good job we've done in raising Izzie but yet to show He has had this plan for our family since the beginning and has prepared not just our hearts as parents but Izzie as a big sister.

Since we have started this journey I have already seen God's hand at work, I have been more amazed by what He has done in Izzie's heart than anything. Only God could give Jonthan and I a child that would be as open and understanding as Izzie has been about having a black sister. Only God could give her the tender heart needed to accept that not all children have the fortune that she does and not to boast in those things, but hurt for the children that don't have that same fortune.


God has had His hands in this from the beginning....he began Building Castles long before we did........































2 comments:

  1. Oh how I love that sweet girl!! Praying for you guys daily and can not wait to hold that precious "brown sister" in my arms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nikki! I found your blog through facebook, and I love blogs! Even more so, I love adoption and am excited for you guys. What an adventure! I also have a 4 year old, and I LOVE their insight and how they "get" things so trustingly and purely. Blessings to you all in the journey, and I am glad to keep up with you as you travel it!
    Ellen (Penny) Grant

    ReplyDelete